Congratulations! You have found a step-by-step guide to Guernsey casting on. Read on if adding a new knit technique to your growing stash of knitting information sounds like a great idea.
1. Make a slip knot and place it on your right needle.
2. Hold the needle with the slip knot in your right hand. Take the yarn from the ball from back to front around your left thumb and hold it with your fingers.
3. Take your needle from bottom to top through the loop of yarn around your left thumb.
4. Slip the loop onto your needle and tighten.
5. Using a second needle, pick up the slip knot.
6. Pass the slip knot over the cast on stitch and take it off your needles.
7. Wrap the yarn around your left thumb as before.
8. Add two more cast on stitches following steps 3 – 4.
9. Using a second needle, pick up the first of the two cast on stitches you just worked.
10. Pass the stitch over the last cast on stitch and off your needle.
11. Pull the yarn from the ball to tighten the stitch.
12. Continue adding two cast on stitches and slipping the first stitch over the second stitch as before until the required number of stitches are worked.
By casting on with this knitting technique, you will get a decorative edge that is traditionally used for Guernsey sweaters. But don’t let that stop you. Give this technique a try and give your knitting a new twist.